Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Strange

My child is strange. He just is. I think it's cute...mostly. And kind of funny...mostly. He gets these ideas in his head and there is no changing it! Today he wore his Superman cape over his clothes into the Super Target (only it's not even Superman, it's actually a superhero cape with an "R" on the back that Rob's grandma special ordered for him.). If you're my facebook friend you've probably already seen the picture of him in the bakery department dressed as "SSSuper Robbie!".

Later on this afternoon we ran out to Sam's Club just for one thing. He decided to wear Spiderman elbow, knee, and wrist pads along with some Toy Story socks, a soccer jersey, red basketball shorts, and orange flip flops...a partridge in a pear tree. I talked him down from the socks and forced him to leave the Cars rollerskates at home so I guess I have some sort of "standard" left.

I AM "that mom" whose child is strange and dirty and wearing bizarre and unmatching clothing in public places. I don't even get how I have become that, and why that seems completely acceptable to me...but it does--and it is. I actually said, "that's fine" when Robbie said he wanted to be Batman for Halloween. I've lost all sense of reality and have fallen into a surreal life.

I feel like just around the corner is Elise in a Little Mermaid costume at Sprouts. Probably speaking prohetically there! I think this is where the phrase, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" comes from.

2 comments:

K-Mama said...

I love it, Val. These are the memories you will be sharing with his future wife (should there be a woman willing to surrender to these odd habits--lol) and posting on a rehearsal dinner slideshow, much to his dismay. I love your attitude about it--I agree: EMBRACE IT and enjoy the surprises.

K-Mama said...

Now I just need to see a picture of this entire outfit! Oh, and Jack wants to be a UFC fighter for Halloween...sooo....