Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rob's China Adventure

This is not a high-quality picture. Stating the obvious here. But, it is so funny to me, I had to blog about it and since I haven't blogged on here in months and all of our other pictures are trapped on our PC which is "broken down" at the moment and I can't get any pics off....this is what you get. Feel free to write a letter to the editor to try to get me fired....

Anyway, in case you didn't know, Rob travels to China very often for work. He likes to say he goes about 3 times a year, but he's been at least 4 times this year already so, he goes a lot. This last trip his brother and sister-in-law went also and they're staying for three months to try to get some things set up in the dental lab so that Rob won't have to go as often but mostly so that things will hopefully run smoother and they will have higher quality crowns, bridges, etc..

During the trip a friend decided they should all go on a hike. Rob DOES. NOT. exercise. Period. I don't know when he would have time to exercise even if he wanted to. The poor guy gets up at 4 in the morning, leaves by 5 a.m. for work and doesn't get home until 6 p.m. This schedule does not allow for exercise. Although he does like to remind me that he gets some activity in walking to and from his truck--so there's that. Somehow I work out 3-5 times/week (normally. Not these days) and can't seem to get my size 10 back and he eats cheeseburgers and lots of coffee and can't seem to gain any weight. Life isn't fair, but I digress.

Anyway, the friend decided they should all go on a hike. Hannah and Jesse work out regularly so they had packed appropriate attire but Rob had to go out shopping in Hong Kong on a Sunday night at 8 p.m. to try to find athletic shoes for the big day. Apparently everything closes very early Sunday evenings in China so the only "store" he could find was an old lady in an alley having a "yard sale" on a blanket (who knows where she got the loot to sell!) and the only shoes available were these bright white velcro Nikes that were used and one size too small. So naturally, he bought them and went on the three hour hike in the shoes with the velcro opened and flapping around the entire time. This was a few weeks ago. He still has blisters & wounds. I have gotten several great laughs out of the telling (and then re-telling) of this story, hopefully you do too! Poor guy is obviously a trooper. I would've parked myself at the closest Starbucks and waited for the group to finish!

No comments: